Sunday, November 13, 2011

"You're doing what?" "Mowing roads" "IN NOVEMBER?"

I admit it. I mowed roads yesterday. And if the rain goes around (which I doubt) I'll probably do it again tomorrow. Which begs the question "Why on earth would you mow roads in November?"  Actually the answer is quite simple.

Drifting snow.

Now, I know that I can't stop all the snow from drifting. But I spent enough years driving a propane truck in the winter to know that a clean road ditch can often make quite a difference in how a road holds snow. Yes, we try and keep things mowed.  Don't always get it done, but we try.  But during harvest season very few people have the free time to mow roads and they get just alittle uneven.  Not bad for the most part, but not even and smooth.

I plan (as in I actually intend to do it!) to if the weather permits mow roads after we finish fall tillage. Just a quick pass to mow off stragglers and provide as little place as we can for snow to catch.  Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. 

But if my choice is this
 or this,
I'll mow roads

No comments:

Post a Comment