Friday, May 20, 2011

"When the neighbors on two sides have things all planted and my ground is still too wet, am I being to particular?"

I stopped and talked to a neighbor today.  He was greasing his planter, which hasn't been in the ground this year.  I was going to pick up limbs along a tree row.I asked him something along the line of "When the neighbors on two sides have things all planted and my ground is still too wet, am I being to particular?"

His response was along the lines of "No, you're just using the good judgment your Dad and Grandpa taught you.  Working ground wet is fine as long as it keep raining.  One of the days the Big Man is going to turn it off."

I've spent most of my day in the field.  Picking up limbs, spraying Poison Hemlock, looking at a problem requiring heavy equipment with a contractor, just looking.  My driest field is one I usually plant last. It is driest ... except for where you pull into it.  There is no other way in  I almost got my 4WD Mule stuck there.
I have a couple others I could work, but only the high spots.  I looked at a couple fields that have been planted and the neighbor is right.  If they don't get rain this weekend it won't be pretty.

So I'll ask this of other farmers on here:  How do you handle waiting for the ground to get "right"?  How do you decide?

1 comment:

  1. That is a tough quesiton. Sometimes one may need to compromise on waiting for the ground to get "right". At this time of year, one probably shouldn't spend a lot of time looking behind when planting, especially if everyone around you is going. It may keep you going to church for the rest of the summer which can't be all bad.

    Ron Swanson

    ReplyDelete