Monday, September 13, 2010

Bean harvest has started

"Boy, those sure look drier than they did a couple days ago."  Any farm boy will tell you that sentence is almost GUARANTEED to cause work.  Cut a few beans to get a moisture test and just kept going.  I set up the auger to the bean bin (it IS the "Bean Bin"  You couldn't put corn in it, it might fall over of something).  Experience has taught me to always check for paper wasps when opening the doors and electric boxes on the Prust Farm bins.  Painful experience.    I have also learned to look under the rungs on the bin ladders.  For some reason paper wasps like that spot as well.  Didn't find the first nest this year (so far).  But I was surprised by my little buddy looking up at me
 He was just setting there on the ladder waiting for me.  I almost stepped on him before realizing it was a tree frog setting there and not just a lump of something.
They are a bit wet, but they will be going on the bottom of a bin with an aeration floor and a lot more fan than they need.
We'll probably get them a couple feet deep and then be stopped for a couple weeks.  They'll dry out well by then.  Yield is better than I expected, but then again I have learned not to have great expectations from this field.  These are Liberty Link beans
Our main purpose was control of a specific weed that Roundup is weak on.  It worked well for that purpose, but I think RR beans are easier to keep clean.  We have a little over 100 acres of beans close to ready then we'll probably go back to corn.

No comments:

Post a Comment