Friday, June 4, 2010

You're doing WHAT in June?

Did something this week I'd never done before ... Hauled corn in June
 Yes, that was taken June 3, 2010
No, it was not good marketing.  We had problems hauling corn out of the bin this year.  Between posted roads and a full elevator and the yards getting so soft we got a semi AND a 10 wheeler stuck loading, we didn't get done hauling corn out before we started planting it.

Out of 4 tandem trucks the old Louisville is the only one running.  And it is not running well.  Black truck should be done this week.  Parts finally got here.  And the blue truck?
It's still at Ralph's.  I threatened to pull the white truck across the drive until it was done so nobody else could bring in stuff to be worked on that just HAD to be done today.  Ralph didn't discourage that ... but he didn't endorse it either.

Actually we didn't get done hauling corn before we started cultivating it
Aman just loves cultivating
Listen closely to the sarcasm dripping off my voice. He was even less a fan on Memorial Day when, as he was crossing the Mill Creek bridge, the bolts holding the top link to the cultivator frame broke.

Yes, in the middle of the bridge.

No, I didn't take pictures

Made some interesting observations this week.  We planted True's right in front of a big rain. and then it rained.  And rained.
I had Schlagel Posi-Close wheels on row 2, the JS (IH knock-off) closing systems on rows 5 and 10, and the JD True-Vee rubber wheels everywhere else.  Row 5 was consistently better looking than the others.
including row 10
Here is the screwdriver in row 4 looking at row 5 where the previous photo was taken
(yes,the screwdriver was stuck in the ground the same depth)
But WHY row 5 was better than 10 we can't explain.  I'm pretty sure it was the same variety planted the same depth

In the end it didn't matter.  We dug up the whole field and replanted it.  It was a tough call  You'd have a perfect stand next to an area the size of a pickup with 10-20 plants scattered through it.  The other 2 fields we planted the same day with the same identical setup and preparation were OK.  This one, the last one of the day, was not.

So we replanted it Tuesday.   Saw Bob and Dorothy at the restaurant.  Asked if they thought we were silly digging that up?  Bob said "No, I ought to have done the same thing to my field."
Made me feel some better.
Rained early Wednesday morning ... and early Thursday morning.  I'm about afraid to go back and look at it.

Anyway, I was setting here waiting on pictures to load when I fell asleep.  I guess this new chair is too comfortable, because I had a really nice 2 hour nap.  Better finish this for now.  Later Ya'll

No comments:

Post a Comment