Monday, February 7, 2011

End of another era

Dad and I were discussing working on the roof of the old white corn crib a few years ago.  He was concerned about my being up on it trying to secure the metal roofing. I told him I wouldn't get on it again.

Well ... Monday I got on it again.  But I think Dad would have been OK with it
I was a lot closer to the ground at the time.

The crib had reached the point of not being safe to get on top of to maintain.  And even if you felt safe up there, the rafters had reached the point you couldn't nail the tin down. Screws still worked for the most part, but there were a few spots the only way to tie the tin down was run a wire around the board underneath and tie it.

We got everything out we wanted and called a friend who is a professional recycler.  Or "Scrapper" as he puts it.  If we had hauled the metal off we probably would have made a little cash, but not much. The difference between our hauling stuff off and him doing it is he knows the ins and outs of the business.  He sorts the various types and knows who is paying better for what and has enough volume to make the effort pay for him. So we said "Jim, come get it ... and stay off the roof" and left him alone.  The next day he called and said "The inside is done.  When you get the roof on the ground call me."

We had an I beam on the east side we wanted to save.  Monday morning I took the loader and picked up the rafters and pushed them to the side, the pulled the posts over.
After I had done everything I could with the loader we tied  a chain to some of the main supports, hooked it to the Magnum, and put the roof on the ground.
In the process I had to walk up a section of the roof already on the ground to tie a chain to another beam.  I had my YakTrax on my boots for walking on the ice 
... not a good combination for walking on roofing tin.  But there were enough nails sticking up to keep me from sliding very far.
So it is down and more cleanup is required.  Jim is going to get the tin off the roof, there's some iron inside we need to cut up to get out ... rods that were holding the walls from spreading and things like that we couldn't safely remove from the standing building.  Then we'll see what wood can be salvaged and get the rest hauled to a landfill.

Yeah, I know, dig a hole, shove it in and burn it.  Can't do that anymore.  We have to be environmentally correct.

Anyone want a souvenir?

1 comment:

  1. I have a couple of nephews who appreciate your "environmental correctness."

    ReplyDelete